SickKids Injury Prevention Awareness Event
Some members of our community are participating in the first ever SickKids Injury Prevention Awareness event and would like to invite others in the Davisville community to join with them in participating or supporting this event. This event is organized by your SickKids emergency medicine physicians and fellows.
Preventable injury is the leading cause of death in Canadians under the age of 35 years and the most expensive disease our country faces. Most people are not aware of that, nor have they considered injury a cause worthy of fundraising. We want to change that, and we passionately believe in raising injury prevention awareness through education and fundraising, and hope that you will join us!
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
1. Join their team and raise funds for Injury Prevention! It’s easy, just follow the detailed steps below to register for the race and create your own fundraising page.
2. Make a directed donation to our team, or to support an individual on our team: go to our donation page and click “make a direct donation”.
3. Spread the word! Please forward this email to anyone you know who a) loves to run or walk, b) has been affected by Injury, or c) knows someone affected by Injury.
What: 5K run or walk
When: Sunday, May 5th, 2013 at 12noon
Where: race starts and ends at Ontario Place
Why: Preventable injury is the leading cause of death in Canadians under 35 years of age and the most expensive disease our country faces. Compared to other leading causes of morbidity and mortality like cancer and heart disease, hardly any money is raised for injury research, education and awareness. The only cure for injury is prevention!
Fundraising: 50% of funds will go to Parachute, Canada’s leading organization for Injury Prevention (learn more at www.parachutecanada.org); and 50% of raised funds will be donated directly to the SickKids Emergency department for projects related to Injury Prevention awareness, education and research.
To join our team and run/walk the 5K:
1. Register for the race at: http://www.torontomarathon.com/. Go to the registration dropdown, click on “online registration”. Click on “Register now/May 5th, 2013” red box in middle of page (do not choose team registration). Click on 5K run or walk. Registration fees are $55 if you register by April 23rd.
2. Go to https://www.sickkidsdonations.com/registrant/startup.aspx?eventid=119568 and follow instructions to sign up to join the Injury Prevention team! This website allows you to easily set up a fundraising page and send to links/emails to your community for sponsorship. Please disseminate widely! Those who can raise $75 by April 22nd will get a free Injury Prevention tshirt! An electronic tax receipt will be issued for your donation.
If you have any questions about the event or how to support our cause, please contact Drs. Suzanne Beno, Eric Koelink, Kirstin Weerdenburg & Adrienne Davis from SickKids Emergency Medicine. Thank you!