Welcome to our 2018-19 school year!
To receive weekly updates and news about the school and upcoming events, please sign up for the School Council’s Weekly Newsletter.
Davisville School Council
The Davisville School Council serves the community of Davisville Junior Public School. School Council is an advisory body that operates under the auspices of the Toronto District School Board, as mandated by the Ontario Ministry of Education.
The majority of School Council members must always be parents of children attending the school. Council can also can have teaching staff, non-teaching staff, and community representatives. The school Principal is a non-voting member of Council.
School Council meetings are held regularly throughout the school year; reference the minutes from past meetings.
2018-19 School Council Executives / Voting Members:
- Council Co-chair: Heidi Kerney
- Council Co-chair: Gillian Goldblatt
- Past Chair: Tanya Murdoch, Anne Mullins
- Co-Secretaries: Farah Namazi, Patricia Disperati, Renata Vaccaro
- Co-Treasurers: Wendy Bhim, Julie Kelk
- Communications Co-chairs / Committee: Anita Huang Teshima, Anya Laskin, Morgan Hedges, Lara Friedlander, Shweta Dhari
- Eco Co-chairs: Tanya Murdoch, Jasneet Kaur
- Fun Fair Co-chairs: Eric Eisen, Josette Lamoureux
- Fundraising Co-chairs: Melissa Gould Wise
- Safe and Caring Schools Committee: Naomi Buck
- Mental Health and Safety Committee: Ulrica Jobe, Morgan Hedges
- Kindergarten Reps: Patti Jardin, Pauline Yoon
- Primary Reps: Ulrica Jobe, Morgan Hedges
- Junior Reps: Teresa Beevor, Farah Namazi
- Library Liaisons: Leyla Gholami, Christine Kilby
2018-19 Non-Elected Positions:
Along with the elected chairs and council positions, there are parents who have offered to coordinate various council programs, or have started their own initiatives. Some initiatives have become part of the Davisville tradition but need someone to manage them. They all need a team of volunteers to help run these programs. Please contact them if you are able to help out or contact council for more information: email@example.com
- Snack Coordinator(s): Treya Beaulieu
- Pizza lunch Coordinators(s): Lynne LeBlanc
- Class Connector Coordinator(s): Anya Laskin
- Bake Sale Coordinator(s): Amie Luckock
- Freecycle Coordinator(s): Tanya Murdoch
- Staff Appreciation Lunch Coordinator(s): Farah Namazi
- Spiritwear Coordinator(s): Gillian Goldblatt
- Skate Night Coordinator(s): Beata Strzyzewska
- Fun Fair Auction Chair(s): Melissa Gould Wise
Council Executive Positions / Committee Chairs Descriptions:
- Council Chair: Sets the agenda for School Council meetings, supports the other chairs in their endeavors, liaises with administration, and responds to questions/concerns from the parent community. (Large time commitment, 1-2 years of experience on council, good to share this position with a Co-chair or Vice Chair.)
- Past Chair (Retiring Council Chair): Advises and shares institutional experience with current School Council
- Secretary: Takes minutes of each meeting and distribute a copy to school community. (No experience needed, minimal time commitment, and must come to all meetings; can share position.)
- Treasurer: Keeps account of money raised and spent, signs cheques, deposits money raised by Council, sits on budget committee. (Sporadic time commitment, must check in frequently and meet with budget committee 4-5x a year as well as report to council every meeting; should shadow treasurer for a few months to understand role.)
- Communications Committee: Regularly update parent-run website — http://www.davisvilleparents.com — and share school news with Davisville PS community through a weekly newsletter, social media sites, and email distribution lists; post blogs/news, upcoming events/activities, forms, Council minutes, etc., following the guidelines developed by the Communications Committee. (Recommendation is to run Communications as a committee.)
- Eco Chair: Works with teachers from the Eco Club to support eco-initiatives and helps communicate what is happening with the Eco Club
- Fun Fair Chair: Sets the agenda for, plans and coordinates the annual parent-run even in the Spring. (This is a position that needs team support and people in charge of the various Fun Fair areas and activities.)
- Fundraising Chair: In charge of the silent auction at the Fun Fair and any new fundraising initiatives. Report back on fundraising initiatives to council. Chair a meeting early in the year to set agenda for the year. (2-3 hours in Fall, busy in spring from April-June Fun fair, coordinate and run silent auction. NEED A TEAM.)
- Educational Liaison English Program: Advises staffing committee (administration and teachers) in the Spring when they plan distribution of classes for the English stream. (2-3 meetings after school in late March, early April.)
- Educational Liaison French Program: Same as above for the French stream
- Kindergarten, Primary and Junior Reps: Brings issues or shares knowledge about different area of the school community. Acts as a liaison between Council and the wider school community for their respective grades.
- Library Liason: Liases with the Library department head, Maria Mantello, to determine what needs the Library might have (e.g., funds or volunteers), and then brings these needs to School Council (by proxy, if you can’t be present at meetings)
- Safe and Caring Schools Committee:
- Mental Health and Safety Committee:
- Volunteer Coordinator (when applicable): The focal point for volunteers (e.g., emailing volunteers, setting up babysitter for Council meetings, obtaining volunteers for different events, and coordinating Fun Fair volunteers in the spring). (Year round, mostly by email, 1-2 hours per month, more for big events. You might need to attend big events to coordinate volunteers.)