Author Archives: illustratedbyanya
To receive weekly updates and news about the school and upcoming events, please sign up for the School Council’s Weekly Newsletter.
We had a great (though long) council meeting on Tuesday. Wonderful update on our incredible EQAO-results and a guest visit from Trustee Shelley Laskin, who spoke briefly about the new school build.
We also had our council elections – Thank You to everyone who has stepped into a role! We still have some openings, including:
– Co- or Vice Chair. We will need a new Council Chair next year, so if you’re considering that position for next year, come work with us this year and learn the ropes.
– Transition Committee: this year is that last year for English Grade 6 at Davisville, which means that we need some planning to make the move to middle school go smoothly. We need two parents with children in the both the grade 5 and 6 English program and one more parent with a child in the grade 6 French program to join this committee
– We need a few people to take on our wonderful Fun Fair; this is the best day of the year and a really fun event to take on. Co-Chairs and committee members needed.
– Education Liaison/Grade Reps: this is a very minimal time commitment, but we need two more parents for this. The role is to update council with your department needs through the year, and then meet with administration in March to plan class distribution. We still need at least two parents, one with a child in English Primary (1-3) and a parent of a child in English Junior (4-6)
– One parent to run the spring Acorn art fundraiser (not a huge time commitment,involves talking to teachers and distributing forms and finished art)
– Someone who can be in the school a small amount to help keep our Freecycle winter clothing program organized
– One or two people interested in taking on the organization of the spring rummage sale
– one or two people to be the bake sale coordinators (This is fun! You get to sell sugar to kids!)
If you have questions, or are interested in one or more of these opportunities, please contact Tamara at email@example.com
Welcome back to the returning families, and welcome to Davisville to all the new students and their parents!
Dates to note:
** September 15 School Council Coffee morning in the small basement cafeteria 9-10:30. Come talk to the current chairs and other community members to find out more about council and other volunteer opportunities in the school. Bring your questions! Please sign in at the front office.
September 19 – Snack Program starts – Volunteers Needed- Our snack program needs volunteers – if you have one morning per week that you can help out, please contact our snack coordinator Chris Trussel using the form below:
September 20 – Town Hall meeting to discuss New School (7pm Hodgson)
*** Learn about the plans for our new school!*** A public meeting is being held at Hodgson MS on September 20 (7pm). Please come out to see this first public presentation from our superintendent, trustee, councillor and the architect about plans, and ask questions. Everyone welcome, your input is wanted. Please plan to attend!!!
September 27 – First School Council Meeting. Meeting at the Gym on the 2nd floor, childcare provided.
September 29 – Terry Fox Run
October 7 – PA Day, no school
October 10 – Thanksgiving (no school)
* Registration for ILE Classes. This year at Davisville language classes are being offered in Farsi, Hindi, Simplified Mandarin and Spanish. More information and register here: http://www.ileprograms.ca/
Overcrowding at Davisville and area schools
Our school population continues to grow and we are now too big for the school building. This year we have lost the big music room in favour of new classrooms, this effects not only choir but other extra-curriculars and clubs. As you may know, in response to this need, parents and principals from all the schools in our family of schools are meeting with our Board staff, our school board trustee, Shelley Laskin, and our school Superintendent Sandra Tondat to discuss changes to Davisville and Hodgson (as well as other schools in our area).
The first public meeting for the Yonge-Eglinton Review will take place on Tuesday, October 20th at 7:00 p.m. at Hodgson Sr. PS (282 Davisville Avenue). For those unable to attend this meeting, the same presentation will occur on Tuesday, October 27th at 7:00 p.m. at Forest Hill CI (730 Eglinton Avenue West).
These meetings will give parents, guardians, and community members an opportunity to review, provide feedback, and ask questions about a number of potential program and accommodation solutions that are being examined by the Program Area Review Team (PART) to cope with enrolment pressures in the Yonge-Eglinton area. The Program Area Review Team will be putting forth their proposals for your feedback at these meetings.
A more detailed analysis of this model (as well as materials provided at all working meetings) can be found on the TDSB website:http://www.tdsb.on.ca/aboutus/strategyplanning/communityinvolvement.aspx.
The Program Area Review Team’s recommendations will be shared at a final meeting on Tuesday, November 17th at 7:00 p.m. at Hodgson Sr. PS.
What you can do
You can contribute to the decision making process in these ways: write to your trustee, Shelley Laskin <Shelley.Laskin@tdsb.on.ca> and/or come to the meeting at Hodgson on October 20th (or at the alternate site, Forrest Hill Collegiate on October 27th) and/or you can write to us here at <firstname.lastname@example.org> and we will pass on questions or statements to our trustee and school representatives prior to these meetings.