Category Archives: Davisville Events
Davisville PS’s annual Fun Fair is tomorrow, Saturday, June 13th from 10:30-3:30.
The Davisville Fun Fair is always a highlight for families at our school. The Fair includes a variety of carnival games, bouncy castles and other inflatables, a silent auction, a BBQ, delicious treats, face-painting, henna, hair-decorating and much more. Come out and show your support for our school while having a great time with your family and friends!
Here are just some of the highlights:
- Cupcake decorating – Decorate a delicious cupcake to enjoy at the fair!
- Animal show – two shows will run, one at 11:30 and again at 12:30 ($6 at the door).
- Balloon burst water game – you might want to send your kids to the fair in a bathing suit or with a change of clothes, because with the perfect weather we will have tomorrow, the kids will want to get soaked!
- New this year upcycled bags arts&crafts centre – Volunteer artists (Jiyoon, Geetha, Jyothi, among others) have made beautiful up-cycled shopping bags from T-shirts, and added patches and embroidery. Your kids add their imagination and some paint and take home a lovely bag (prices $6-$10/bag.)
- Photo booth – come have a silly family photo taken, or have your photo taken with some special surprise celebrities…
- Silent Auction and Penny Raffle – Dinner at a local restaurant? A summer camp for the kids? A chance to have lunch with your favourite teacher? All of this and more can be had at our annual silent auction! There will also be a penny raffle where you can enter to win some amazing prizes! Bring your toonies and chequebooks and go home with some excellent swag!
- Also for the adults – The notary is in! Douglas is setting up shop again to notarize your travel documents or maybe you want a notarized document that affirms how awesome Dad is – a great Father’s Day gift!
Please note: If you pre-ordered tickets, they will be available tomorrow morning at the ticket pickup table starting at 10:00am. Tickets will be in an envelope marked under the child’s name, sorted by teacher.
Tickets and wristbands ($10 at the door) can also be purchased at the ticket sales/pick-up table.
See you all tomorrow for a great day!
We hope that everyone has had a wonderful, safe and happy summer. And while it is thankfully not over yet, it’s time to turn our minds again to back-to-school preparations. So, here’s some information on the first day of school:
- The first day of school this year is Tuesday, September 2, 2014. All students should arrive at school on the first day by 8:35 a.m.
- The office re-opens this week as of August 25 (from 8am – 4pm daily).
- Class lists for the 2014-2015 school year will be posted sometime later this week. They will be posted on the main Millwood doors and the Exit 4 doors on the Davisville side of the school. Please note that there may be further changes to class lists.
For Students in Grades 1 to 6:
- Students in grades 1-6 should gather on the Davisville side of the school.
- Students who are bussed to school will be brought to the assigned area by teachers and support staff.
- All students will then be escorted into the school by their teachers.
For Kindergarten Students:
- English-track Senior Kindergarten students will meet their teachers on the East playground on the Millwood Road side of the school.
- French immersion Senior Kindergarten students will meet their teachers on the West playground on the Millwood Road side of the school.
- Junior Kindergarten students will have a staggered entry throughout the rest of the week.
Davisville’s Annual Fun Fair is TOMORROW from 11am-3pm. The Fun Fair is without a doubt one of the best days of the year for Davisville kids and parents alike! There is so much to look forward to, from bouncy castles, to facepainting, to delicious BBQ, to a silent auction, and so much more!
Here is everything you need to know about tomorrow’s Fun Fair:
If you pre-ordered wristbands and/or tickets, they will be available for pick-up today (Friday) after school on the playground or tomorrow morning starting at 10:30am at the fair. If you didn’t pre-order, or if you wish to purchase more tickets, you can purchase a wristband/tickets from the ticket table or roving ticket sellers at the fair. The ticket sellers will be wearing colourful Hawaiian Leis.
Wristbands ($8 pre-ordered/$10 at fair) will give your child unlimited access to all the rides and inflatables, including bouncy castles, obstacle course, slide, and the ‘big splash’!
Tickets can be used for lots of great food and activities, including:
- Barbeque, Sno-cones and Cotton Candy
- Carnival Games
- Face Painting, Hair & Henna
- Button Making
- Family Photos *new this year, families will be able to have their photos taken at the Family Photo booth! (from 11-1 only).
- Cupcake Decorating *new, kids will love decorating cupcakes or cookies with icing and their choice of candies! (1st Floor, across from the silent auction)
LIVE Animal Show! This year, there will be two shows, at 12:15 and 1:15, in the 2nd floor gym ($5 pre-ordered /$6 at fair)
Notarizing: the Notary is IN. Do you need documents notarized? Do you need a certificate attesting to your parent or child’s awesomeness? Douglas Sanderson will be ready to notarize your forms or letters between 12-2 (by the face painting tent).
Silent Auction: Don’t forget your chequebooks! We’ve got a lot of great items up for bid, including gift baskets, gift certificates galore, and the ever popular teacher experiences! Payment by cash or cheque. Check out the Silent Auction Catalogue to see some of the amazing items on offer!
Davisville Spirit Wear: Did your child want some Davisville swag, but didn’t place an order? Fear not, we’ve got you covered! Some limited extra items (baseball caps, water bottles, bracelets, t-shirts) will be available for sale from 11am-1pm at the Fun Fair.
Volunteers: If you are unsure where you need to be, there will be a copy of the volunteer schedule, as well as a map of the fair, located at the side of the ticket pick-up/sales. You can also pick up your name tag here.
We can’t wait to see you tomorrow for an excellent, sunny day of activities and FUNraising!
Today Davisville Junior Public School was extremely fortunate to host Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Laureen Harper, Queen Rania of Jordan, President Kikwete of Tanzania, and Melinda Gates (co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation), as part of the “Saving Every Woman, Every Child” summit.
While at Davisville Public School, Prime Minister Harper announced that Canada is committing $3.5 billion between 2015 and 2020 to improve the health of mothers and children in less developed countries. This money will go towards efforts like immunization and nutrition programs to help fight against the largely preventable deaths of millions of women and children around the world.
It was an amazing opportunity for many students, teachers, staff and parents in the Davisville community to get to be a part of such a special event in support of a very important cause. It was also a wonderful opportunity to showcase to people across the country our incredibly diverse, talented and spirited community in the Davisville, Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and Spectrum Alternative programs.
We are so thrilled that they choose our school. Davisville is very excited to have had this incredible opportunity!
To promote a healthy, active school environment, all Davisville school families are invited to the first ever Family Fitness Night!
It is being held this Thursday, February 20th, 6:15-7:40pm. The deadline to hand in RSVPs has been extended until tomorrow, Tuesday, February 18th. So don’t forget to send your form in!
Please arrive by 6:15pm and make your way to the gym. After an introduction by Ms. Francesca, families can move together and can choose from a variety of fun activities that promote health, fitness and well-being, such as:
- Family Yoga
- Tennis drills
- Soccer skills
- Personal training
- Circuit training
- Nutrition and snack making
- Massage therapy
- Stress Management
Also, please come to the event dressed in comfy clothing and wear your running shoes!