Well, despite the lack of cooperation of the winter weather this week (well, all winter really), Davisville P.S. is continuing our week of winter fun.
Davisville’s winter carnival was a huge success yesterday! The children showed their spirit coming to school in blue and white (the colour of Quebec’s flag), and had a great time participating in the many Winter Carnival activities, and enjoying the fresh made pancakes too. A big thank you to the principal, teachers, support staff, custodians and parent volunteers who put so much work into making this a really special day for all our children!
Davisville P.S. continues the winter fun tonight (Friday, Feb. 24th) for our annual Davisville Family Skate night. Come one, come all. Bring your skates and helmets, and join us on the rink behind Hodgson Senior Public School (282 Davisville Ave.) for some family fun from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Every year the teachers and staff of Davisville host a day long Winter Carnival at school. This year, the Davisville Winter Carnival will be February 23rd. The day will include a Carnival Light and Sound Show, different Carnival themed stations, including face-painting, crafts, relay races, snowshoes, curling, pancakes and hot chocolate, and a special visit from the Bonhomme de Neige!
This is a school-run event, and the teachers and staff do most of the work, but they can use the help of some parent volunteers.
If you can spare some time on the Carnival day, we will need parents for:
- The face painting station (it is ok to learn on the job).
- The pancake station to help make and serve pancakes.
- The plasticine station to distribute plasticine and assist children to make figurines.
- The primary art station to help children make rubbings, print winter scenes, and make woven mats like Bonhomme’s belt.
- The photo stations to take pictures of children with the bonhomme and at different stations at the school.
Or, if you can’t come on the 23rd, but would like to help out, we also need parents to:
- Lend supplies: We need griddles, mixing bowls, flippers, plates and forks. Label these and they will come back to you.
- Donate supplies: We need some sleds or inner tubes for the outdoor obstacle course – these get treated pretty roughly, so you may consider them a donation rather than a loan, but they can be returned as well.
- Pick up and return skis: We need a parent with access to a van to pick up skis from the TDSB outdoor centre (Allen Rd/Finch) in advance (between 8am-4pm early in the week), and return supplies on the Friday after Carnival.
- Pick up other supplies: We can also use some help picking up supplies for the day (e.g., ropes for the toboggans, other little things)
- Decorate: We need a couple of parents to help decorate (put up streamers and signs) on the Wednesday, Feb. 22nd (2-4pm).
Whether you can come for the full day or for a short shift, any time you can come, or any help you can offer is welcome! If you can help, please contact your class parent.